* * * Please remember to paddle smart and stay safe:
|Wear your PFD.
||Dress for immersion.
||Never Paddle Alone!
* * * Hurricane Sandy Victims:Our hearts go out to all our friends and associates on Long Island who have suffered
losses as a result of hurricane Sandy. We know that some losses cannot be resolved, but for those that may, we hope that
you all will experience a speedy recovery. If there is any way we can be of assistance, please to not hesitate to call us
* * * Visit us this Winter:Our SKSA summer season is now completed. We will be happy to schedule events on Long Island
this winter if there is interest. We will be holding CTPC classes and practice sessions in the New Haven, CT area this winter and
we invite all our SKSA friends to stop in and visit if you are in the area. We look forward to scheduling more SKSA classes
and events on Long Island beginning in Spring of 2013. In the meantime, we wish you all a great 2012 holiday season and a
happy and prosperous New Year.
* * * Connecticut Classes: Our sister company Changing Tides PaddleCraft is now operating in Connecticut. If you cannot
find the class you need, we may be teaching it on the New Haven, CT area. Please check our
for additional information.
* * * Private Lessons: Possibly your schedule is very busy or unique or perhaps you want to progress faster than the
group. Many people feel the need for one-on-one training, or prefer the security of a personal lesson. Two people may want
to learn together under semi-private conditions. It is always possible to schedule a special session to assess and improve
your skills. Download our Flyer for details.
Contact us to arrange for a custom program that meets your personal requirements.
Travel fees may apply outside the Central Long Island area.
* * * Group Lessons: Do you have several friends who would all like to learn paddling together? Would your club like
to schedule a custom training curriculum? Does your company want a special tour to foster "team building" among personnel?
SKSA can meet your needs. Challenge us to arrange custom lessons and tours for your group at accomodating rates.
Contact us to arrange for special training or outings that fit your needs.
* * * Gift Certificates: Give the gift of safety, training and adventure to those you love
(or even yourself). Kayak or Canoe classes, clinics and tours make thoughtful gifts, and are available now. The gift of fun,
knowledge and skills will last a lifetime. What could be better?
Call 203-903-5705 to order your certificate.
* * * Skill Certification: SKSA and CTPI are proud to be to offer ACA Coastal Kayak skill Assessments for levels 1
through 4. These Assessments certify your skill level for activity participation and advanced training throughout the
United States. For more information visit the
* * * Trip Leader Training: SKSA and CTPI are certified to offer Trip Leader Training and Assessment through the
American Canoe Association. This is a two-day curriculum with exam.
Interested clubs, shops and camps, please inquire.
* * * Instructor Certification: We are pleased to announce that SKSA is certified to offer Instructor Development
Workshops and Instructor Certification Exams for Coastal Kayaking levels 1 through 4 through the American Canoe Association.
We invite inquiries from paddlers club leaders, and camp counselors throughout the Northeast region.
* * * NY Life Jacket Law: Fellow paddlers, please be aware that New York State has passed a
Cold Weather PFD Law.
All persons aboard recreational craft up to 21 feet in length are required to wear a
USCG approved PFD from Nov-1 to May-1 or risk being fined.
This law is in addition to an existing year-round law for youths under 12 on vessels up to 65-ft when underway.
* * * Quick Classes: do you have a question on a particular concept? We have put together a series of short topical
lectures that answer some frequently asked questions. Peruse our Q-Class Archive to select the
lesson of your choice.
* * * Launch Sites: Many of our students and friends ask where they can go to launch their new boat. We decided to
put together a list of public put-ins as a service to our clients. Check out our kayak Put-in Page.
Please keep the list growing. Use our handy Form to provide updates, corrections or to let us
know of any we missed.